Originally the site of the Hippodrome theatre which opened in December 1905. It was taken over by the Essoldo Cinema chain in 1955 and renamed the Essoldo in June 1968. Though by April 1972, it had been renamed the Classic. Taken over for a third time in 1986 it was renamed the Cannon. It closed for good in September 1993 and demolished in January 1996. The ARC now stands on the site.