5th Year GCE Stream Prefects, Billingham South Modern 1961-62

1961-62 was the final year at Billingham South Modern as a secondary school before transferring to the Stephenson Hall complex.

Back Row (l-r): ??; Michael Wilgress; Ronnie Barker; ??; William Bennett; ??; ??; Ian McCleod.

Middle Row (l-r): ??; Thelma ?; Gillian Brown; Barbara ?; Pat Taylor; ??; ??; Barbara Benson; Marilyn Allen; Carol Lake; Alistair Scott.

Front Row (l-r); Jane Harrison; David Hulse; Kathleen Morgan; Royce Sewell; Mr. Chapman; Susan Gutteridge; ??; ??; Graham Thompson.

Photograph and details courtesy of William Bennett.

Yarm 1914 and The Battle Of Passchendaele, 16 July 2017

On Sunday 16 July Yarm1914 held a ‘Keep The Home Fires Burning’ event on Yarm High Street to commemorate The Battle Of Passchendaele .
The event was held around the Town Hall and ran from 10:30am until 4:30pm with exhibitions about home life, working in the fields, a horse drawn WW1 field ambulance (without the horses), a WW1 Working blacksmiths forge as well as displays by Preston Hall Museum, the Heugh Battery from Hartlepool and The Royal British Legion.

There will also be a short service of remembrance on Monday 31 July, 10:45am at the Town Hall war memorial, to mark the start of The Battle Of Passchendaele which began on the 31 July 1917. All are welcome to attend.

Photograph and details courtesy of David Thompson.

Widdecombe Fair, Oxbridge Lane School c1958/59

Oxbridge Lane School performing Widdecombe Fair c1958/59.

Keith Instone, Tony Evans, Brian Dunning, Robert Mackenzie, Terry Kent, David Kirby, Alan Emmerson, Malcolm Simcox, Kenneth Lyons, Terry Robinson, Douglas Duff, Ian Richardson, Billy Kemp, John Murray, Brian Turner, David Weatherill, Peter Chicken, John Clegg, David Pollock, Peter Blair, Alan Stainsby, Peter Dovaston?, John Bolan, Geoffrey Hodson, Gordon Robson, Tony Pottage.

Yarm Rooftops, April 2017

These sets of pictures were taken from the window of a Grand Central train which runs from Sunderland, through to Kings Cross, via Northallerton. It picks up passengers at Eaglescliffe and Hartlepool but for some reason does not stop at Stockton. Is the platform too short?

The Yarm rooftops show how much new building has gone on behind Yarm High Street. I was surprised to learn this morning that Teesside, unlike other conurbations does not have a formal Greenbelt, protecting the surrounding countryside.

Photographs and details courtesy of Fred Starr.