These photographs were taken just south of Stockton Station soon after the station roof had been removed, probably on the Darlington to West Hartlepool diesel. The black vertical line in the pictures is the windscreen wiper. Scrapyards can be seen on the left hand side of the tracks.
When these photographs were taken it looks like the marshalling yard was still in use. But has anyone a recollection of a disused electric loco being stored in the yard after WW II? Presumably this was from the days when there was an overhead dc line from Shildon to Newport.
If local plans had gone ahead, the line from Newcastle to York would have been electrified around 1915 and the rest of the North East and Teesside lines would have surely followed. This would have fitted in with Britain’s first large scale electricity grid (Teesside-Durham-Northumberland), which by 1922 incorporated the worlds most advanced power station, North Tees A.
Photographs and details courtesy of Fred Starr.