This picture of Stephenson Hall shows the Hale Road entrance, this is just off Marsh House Avenue, the two storey wing to the left housed the Headmaster’s and secretary’s offices and the staff rooms, the single storey part was the dining area combined with the stage, beyond which was the main hall, this was sunken by about three feet.
The door in the corner was the staff entrance, the upper floor of the building behind the grassed area was the ‘Domestic Science’ room, the lower floor was the girls cloakroom.
The building is typical of it’s era, architecturally uninteresting and has since been demolished, the activities inside the building were much more interesting, there were many excellent teachers and the facilities were second to none, because the whole of the school started together on a September morning in 1958 there were no ground rules or set routines, we were all finding our feet at the same time and this included the staff.
Available to download is The Photo and Memories Album of Billingham School: 1951/1961.
Image and details courtesy of Bruce Coleman