This snapshot c1896 taken outside the Alexandra Hotel on Bridge Road looking across the Victoria Bridge to Thornaby is full of interesting detail.
On the right the offices of a short lived newspaper, The Stockton and Thornaby News, proprietor Hall Smith of Cambridge Road, Middlesbrough which went into liquidation in 1898.
A sign by the lane far right marks the Hide Skin and Tallow plant which was probably further down by the river. At the entrance workmen appear to be laying cables. The tram generating plant was also on this site further back.
Photograph and details courtesy of Derek Smith.