A photograph of Stockton Parish Church taken for a school project while at St Patrick’s Secondary School, Thornaby 1959/60.
Photograph and details courtesy of Anthony Bonner.
A photograph of The Friarage, The Spital in Yarm c1970.
A view of the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Yarm Road, Stockton. The Church was designed by W.J. Morley & Son of Bradford and built 1903/4.
Interior views of St Luke’s Church on Acklam Road, Thornaby.
Photographs courtesy of Mrs Legg.
Picturesque views of St. Mary’s Church and Norton Green, autumn 2016.
Photographs courtesy of John Loraine.
Views of the Friarage and the Friarage Lodge during the winter months c1890.
The Norman parish church of St. Peter on Seamer Road, Hilton dates from the 12th Century, with later alterations. It is Grade 1 Listed. c1986.
These photographs were taken September 1989 of the Methodist Central Hall on Billingham Green. The church is now demolished and we believe a nursing home is now on the site. The hall at the back of the church was used as a Sunday School and for community functions.
I was out walking with the Stockton Walking Group when we came across the old historic church of St Thomas a Becket in Grindon c2016.
Photographs and details courtesy of Derek Brittain.
A view of St. Mary the Virgin Church and graveyard in Norton.
A view of the funeral procession for Charles Vane-Tempest-Stewart (1852 – 1915), 6th Marquess of Londonderry, Earl Vane outside Wynyard Hall. The pallbearers are followed by Lady Theresa Susey Helen, Marchioness of Londonderry and Charles Steward Henry.
The hall was built in 1822 and rebuilt in 1841 after a fire and incorporated the late 18th century mansion built by the Tempest Family. The new building was based on Benjamin Dean Wyatt’s unexecuted proposal for a Waterloo Palace at Stratfield Saye for the Duke of Wellington. The plans were eventually executed by his brother Philip Wyatt.
The headstone of Thomas Brown – the Soldier with the silver nose. The Valiant Dragoon and Hero of Dettingen, Thomas Brown, was born in Kirkleatham in 1705.
The headstone can still be seen in the churchyard of St Mary Magdalene’s church today.
For more information about Thomas Brown visit Heritage Stockton
Clergymen from the Parish of Stockton and Norton. Taken Easter 1897.
A view of St Pauls Church on Bishopton Road c1960s.
St Marys Church, Norton taken from the ring road, January 2011.
Photograph and details courtesy of John Loraine.
A view of St. John’s Church which stood on Alma Street in Stockton. The church was demolished c1980.