Headstone of Robert James Worth another great Stockton inventor in the churchyard at Norton Parish Church.
Photograph and details courtesy of Alan Boardman.
An area of St. Mary’s graveyard, Norton, showing the headstone of John Walker, chemist and druggist (1781-1859). This original gravestone eventually crumbled and was replaced by Teesside Borough Council in 1974.
A view of The Parish Church and War Memorial on the High Street, Stockton c1974.
The Baptist Tabernacle on Wellington Street, Stockton. The foundation stones were laid by Mayor and Mayoress, Sir Hugh Gilzean Reid and other dignitaries. The Baptist Tabernacle officially opened June 11th 1903 and closed September 2001 on transferring to The Square.
This photograph taken in August 2009 shows scaffolding on the spire of the United Reformed church on Yarm Lane, Stockton.
This is a view of St Johns Church on Alma Street, Stockton. Hume House can be seen in the background c1974.
Photograph and details courtesy of Brian Kemp.
Situated on Wellington Terrace, Norton Road was a three storey building known as Wellington House – a Diocesan Training Home for servants c1900, it then became St. Mary’s Convent School shortly afterwards. When a new school building was built behind St. Mary’s Catholic Church (seen in the distance) in 1909, Wellington House then became St. Gerard’s Convent.
Photograph courtesy of Mrs Denton.
Views of St. John The Baptist, Church Road, Egglescliffe c1981.
It is claimed that there is an underground tunnel from the church to the Friarage in the grounds of Yarm School. It is alleged that it was originally used as an escape tunnel for the monks…
This photograph was taken in 2007 and shows the Mosque on Westbury Street in Thornaby, opposite Victoria Road.
This photograph taken from the High Street shows the Parish Church and War Memorial. The Parish Church was built from 1710-1712 and restored in 1893. The chancel was rebuilt in 1906 and the side chapel added in 1925. The War Memorial was erected in 1923.
Also seen in the photograph is a ‘Keep Left’ traffic bollard and a ‘No Waiting’ sign. The police station situated on Church Road (formerly Church Row) was purchased in 1872 and can just be seen behind the Church. We believe this photograph to be c1955.
A photograph showing the rear view of Stockton Parish Church January 11, 1979.
An interior view of Yarm Church, May 1892.
Photographs showing the new entry to Durham Road cemetery taken November 2013 – March 2014.
Photographs and details courtesy of Peter Jordison.
An interior view showing the altar at St Peter ad Vincula on Thornaby Green, c1985.
A view of St. Johns Church, Darlington Road, Elton. The Church was built in 1840 with the eastern window in memory of Mr G.W. Sutton. The church incorporates a Norman archway and was largely rebuilt in 1936.
Decorations for Harvest Festival adorn the alter of the Wesleyan Chapel, Yarm early 1900s.