This snapshot c1896 taken outside the Alexandra Hotel on Bridge Road looking across the Victoria Bridge to Thornaby is full of interesting detail.
On the right the offices of a short lived newspaper, The Stockton and Thornaby News, proprietor Hall Smith of Cambridge Road, Middlesbrough which went into liquidation in 1898.
A sign by the lane far right marks the Hide Skin and Tallow plant which was probably further down by the river. At the entrance workmen appear to be laying cables. The tram generating plant was also on this site further back.
Photograph and details courtesy of Derek Smith.
Peter Francis Brookes, aged 3 playing in the back street of Sheraton Street, Oxbridge c1950s.
Photograph and details courtesy of Peter Brookes.
A view of Pickfords on Parkfield Road, Stockton c1986.
A view of numbers 51 – 59 on Yarm High Street c1979, including Dobson & Stokoe Chemist.
We believe this to be Trinity Street, off Bowesfield Lane in Stockton c1986.
A view of High Church Wynd situated between West Street and the High Street, Yarm. Any ideas what the building at the bottom was?
Bright Street with a view of Nelson Terrace Higher Grade School and the back of the Cannon Cinema? Probably taken in the late 1970s/early 1980s.
Taken by Roz Prichard, courtesy of Carole Prichard.
Probably taken from the top of the Castlegate Centre Car park, a partial view of Castle House on the corner of Tower Street and Bridge Road looking towards Parkfield Road
Photograph taken in January 1978 by Len Toulson. Courtesy of Neal Toulson.
A snowy scene showing Norton duck pond and Norton High Street, taken in January 2011.
Photograph and details courtesy of John Loraine.
The old access road to the Whessoe works, formerly know as the South Works of Ashmore Benson & Pease. By the time I took this picture in 1985, it has been breached by the new A66 road. This section still exists as Innovation Way and serves a small commercial area.
Photograph and details courtesy of Kevin McGowan.
A view of Riverside Road, Stockton during redevelopment.
Photograph taken in May 1972 by Len Toulson. Courtesy of Neal Toulson.
Repairs or maintenance on a segment of road, Billingham Road in Norton c1960s?
Portrack Lane trading estate looking towards ICI in April 1994.
Looking toward Stockton, to the left of centre is an oval island with the ever present ‘Old Boys’ sitting on park benches, also on the island is a lamp post with an acorn shaped glass bowl similar in shape to the paraffin lamps used on Stockton market, could it possibly be a gas lamp? There were still some in Billingham at this time but of the more traditional shape.
There are some cars including a pre-war model and a number of bicycles to be seen as well as some very substantial iron ‘Keep Left’ signs. I also noticed that there are no smoking chimneys and an acute shortage of television aerials, about five years after these pictures were taken practically every house would have at least one television aerial and sometimes two.
There must be Nortonians visiting this site that can remember Norton as shown in these pictures and quite possibly will remember some of the shops and what they sold, the Tobacconist and Sparks are easy to spot but what about the others?
Photograph and details courtesy of Bruce Coleman.
We can only make out the word ‘street’ on the sign. Any any ideas on where or what this building is?
Extracts from Council Minutes – Church Row Sub Commitee 1934-1935…
’Commencement of work on Church Row. Work was commenced on Monday the 10th instance and proceeding at present in the Churchyard. The footpath is being moved and material excavated to the New Road level. Any remains met with will be removed to Durham Cemetery with proper care and reverence. The arrangements are to be made for the work being commenced upon the Potrack side of the Road on the land known as Robsons Land as soon as possible, notice being given to any tenant of any part thereof terminating the tenancy. The shrubs in the cattle market are being moved preparatory to commence work there in the New Year. Arrangements are also being made to commence work at the other end of The Scheme early in the New Year so that proper entry can be made to the Railway Land. There were 8 tenders submitted for approx 2000 tons of cement. The tender from Industrial Chemicals Industry Ltd of Billingham to supply 2000 tons of Rapid Hardening Portland Cement for the sum of £4387 10s 0d being at the rate of £2 5s 0d per ton less 2% discount. Subject to a contract being entered into in terms to the satisfaction of the council. The number of men employed at present apart form the Foreman and Timekeeper is 17. It is proposed to treat the labour on the Church Row Scheme as nearly as possible the same as the Unemployment Relief Schemes carried out in the past. Whenever possible men will be changed every eight weeks and apart from Christmas Day and Sundays they will be given the opportunity of working at ordinary rates (by ballot) on all other holidays.’