Girls Hockey Team, Stockton Secondary School c1912

This photograph features the Girls Hockey Team at Stockton Secondary School in Nelson Terrace during the winter of 1912.

The names of the players are;
Back Row (L – R): Winnie Stewart, Mary Foggin, Miss Brothers, Elsie Hart, Elsie Walker.
Middle Row (L – R): Hilda Prest, Minnie Ross, Queenie Plummer.
Front Row (L – R): Sally Osborne, Poppy Harper (Captain), Mary Sowler.

Photograph and details courtesy of Cliff Thornton.

Newtown Junior School Country Dance Team c1957/58

Pupils of Newton Junior School, Stockton who competed in a country dancing class at the 19th annual Darlington Competitive Musical Festival. In a much earlier post there was a mention of the Country Dance Team at Newtown Junior School. I was reserve in this team so didn’t take part when they won the shield in a competition in Darlington.

Photograph and details courtesy of Patricia Rendall.

Teachers at Roseberry School, Billingham c1970s

Teachers at Roseberry School, Billiingham during the mid 1970s.

Back Row: Jenny Golightly (her husband James was the first headmaster at Billingham Campus Stephenson Hall), Ian Archer, Bill Jewit (Headmaster), Paddy O’Neill, Miles Sharret, Barbara ?.

Front Row: Jean Bell, Rita Turnbull, Christine Vayro, ??, Pamela Botcherby, Eileen Regan (nee Alderson), Enid Stalley.

Photograph and details courtesy of Pamela Botcherby and Bruce Coleman.

Billingham C of E School, 1952

This is one of a number of images loaned to me by Pamela Botcherby, her father was headmaster at the Church school on Billingham Green from 1947 until about 1960.

Back Row: Arthur McAleery, Peter Shiel, David Appleyard, Derick Coyle, Lorraine Angel, David Worrell.

Middle Row: John Gibbons, Donald Lee, Michael Garside, John Harrison, David Allison, Ian McLaine, Eric Langford, Roy Sigsworth, Michael Lampton.

Front Row: David Robinson, Olive Buckley, Wendy Oughton, -?- Craggs, Ann Fishburn, Hilary Fletcher, Betty Stafford, Pamela Botcherby, Pauline Ayles, Margery Wood, Peter Moon. The teacher is Miss Win Gibson.

As you can see there is only one name not known, it may be that somebody may know this young lady…

Courtesy of Bruce Coleman.

5th Year GCE Stream Prefects, Billingham South Modern 1961-62

1961-62 was the final year at Billingham South Modern as a secondary school before transferring to the Stephenson Hall complex.

Back Row (l-r): ??; Michael Wilgress; Ronnie Barker; ??; William Bennett; ??; ??; Ian McCleod.

Middle Row (l-r): ??; Thelma ?; Gillian Brown; Barbara ?; Pat Taylor; ??; ??; Barbara Benson; Marilyn Allen; Carol Lake; Alistair Scott.

Front Row (l-r); Jane Harrison; David Hulse; Kathleen Morgan; Royce Sewell; Mr. Chapman; Susan Gutteridge; ??; ??; Graham Thompson.

Photograph and details courtesy of William Bennett.

Yarm 1914 and The Battle Of Passchendaele, 16 July 2017

On Sunday 16 July Yarm1914 held a ‘Keep The Home Fires Burning’ event on Yarm High Street to commemorate The Battle Of Passchendaele .
The event was held around the Town Hall and ran from 10:30am until 4:30pm with exhibitions about home life, working in the fields, a horse drawn WW1 field ambulance (without the horses), a WW1 Working blacksmiths forge as well as displays by Preston Hall Museum, the Heugh Battery from Hartlepool and The Royal British Legion.

There will also be a short service of remembrance on Monday 31 July, 10:45am at the Town Hall war memorial, to mark the start of The Battle Of Passchendaele which began on the 31 July 1917. All are welcome to attend.

Photograph and details courtesy of David Thompson.

Widdecombe Fair, Oxbridge Lane School c1958/59

Oxbridge Lane School performing Widdecombe Fair c1958/59.

Keith Instone, Tony Evans, Brian Dunning, Robert Mackenzie, Terry Kent, David Kirby, Alan Emmerson, Malcolm Simcox, Kenneth Lyons, Terry Robinson, Douglas Duff, Ian Richardson, Billy Kemp, John Murray, Brian Turner, David Weatherill, Peter Chicken, John Clegg, David Pollock, Peter Blair, Alan Stainsby, Peter Dovaston?, John Bolan, Geoffrey Hodson, Gordon Robson, Tony Pottage.

Stockton Armed Forces Day, 22 June 2017

A number of organisations offered people the opportunity to find out more about the past, present and future of the Armed Services on Stockton High Street yesterday. There was a range of military and civilian support organisations including Regular Army Stands of Vehicles and 1 Close Battalion REME, Museums from The Heugh Battery Hartlepool, Local Regimental Associations information stands, Army reserve stands from 243 Provo Coy, 201 Field Hospital, 282 MC Sqn, 50 Sigs Sqn and 124 Recovery Coy, WW1/WW2 Singer Janie St John and Soprano Samantha Holden.

Photographs courtesy of David Thompson.