A view from Maxwells Corner c1900.
Courtesy of Jean Pooley.
A view of Debenhams at No.149 on Stockton High Street in 1986.
A view of the High Street, Stockton c1890. The Alms Houses seen on the right were rebuilt in 1816 by George Brown on the site of the 1668 Alms House.
A view showing the north end of Stockton High Street, late c1960s?
This photograph of Stockton High Street in the early 1950s shows a number of pre-war cars and of course the ever present Stockton Corporation buses, I don’t know if the ‘O’ bus in the foreground belonged to Stockton Corporation or Middlesbrough Corporation as the lettering system was used by Middlesbrough and Stockton used numbers until the formation of Teesside Municipal Transport…
Even then Stockton had it’s floral displays as shown by the hanging baskets on the lamp post, plus there is a Union Jack flying on the top of one of the buildings to the left, something of a rarity nowadays.
Photograph and details courtesy of Bruce Coleman.
Stockton High Street at Christmas time in 1987.
Photograph and details courtesy of Alan Davies.
This is a snapshot taken from a British Gaumont film from the early 20th century, film producers would visit a town and film local activities which they would then show at the local theatre/cinema, as you can see the furniture depository was in Knowles Street which of course is still there, the film was taken from a horse and cart being driven along the High Street and shows many young boys messing about as only young boys can and other horse drawn transport as well as people on the footpaths.
Courtesy of Bruce Coleman.
To see this nice piece of local history visit… http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-stockton-on-tees-1910/.
Three views of R. Thompson’s Fish Stall at Stockton Market in 1957. Can anyone remember the stall?
Photographs taken by Tony Whelan, courtesy of Nick Whelan.
A view of Stockton Town Hall from the corner of the High Street and Finkle Street. Date unknown.
HP Tyler Ltd Boot and Shoe store, No. 39 Stockton High Street c1944.
A very detailed pen and Ink illustration of Stockton High Street by John Wilson Brown of Hartburn, Stockton.
A view of the newly built Swallow Hotel on Stockton High Street which was due to open in the Spring of 1973.
Photographs taken in February 1973 by Len Toulson, courtesy of Neal Toulson.
Market Day on Stockton High Street c1970s.
The south end of the High Street showing the Empire Theatre and Bridge Road.
Above the premises of the Home and Colonial store and The United Automobile Services at no. 96 High Street is JT Marriott Photographers and Tyson Hodgson & Co. Brokers. Leslie Browns at no. 95 and the Victoria Inn at no. 97 can also be seen. Stockton High Street c1960s.
Buildings demolished at the south end of Stockton High Street. The drapers shop, CW Laws can be seen across the road. Any ideas what once stood here? Date unknown.
Photographs taken by Len Toulson, courtesy of Neal Toulson.